Tuesday 17 July 2012

Wait, is this America?

It was a busy evening, with customers coming and going like the tide. The night was monotonous, until I caught wind of a transaction between my manager, Mark, and his customer.

He had gotten a small Sugar Shack Maple cone. He was licking at it with contentment, until he received his change. He was a balding senior with a perpetual appearance of disorientation. He paid with an American $20 bill, but when Mark handed him back a Canadian 10 and a bout of Canadian change, he was immediately affronted.

"Can I get this back in American?" he asked, clearly offended.
"I'm sorry sir, but we don't have an American float."
"Well what am I supposed to do with this?! I'm going back to the US tomorrow."
"Spend it here before you leave?" Mark suggested.
"I need this back in American," he clarified, as if this had all been a misunderstanding.
"I don't have any American change to give you. This is a Canadian shop."

Just like a European breakfast place should have Canadian peanut butter, a Canadian ice cream shop should use American money.

People these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment