Tuesday 31 July 2012

Simplicity

I didn't question it when an ordinary customer took his time perusing the flavours. Naturally, it seems to be a hobby of every customer to walk up and down the long line of freezers, battling their taste buds with their memories of flavours tastes before, choosing what to get.

"I'll have a double scoop on a regular cone. The first scoop will definitely be Crouching Tiger, give me a second to decide on the other one," he ordered, finally.

I nodded in obedience, and added a round and bodacious scoop of Crouching Tiger to the cone. I waited patiently for his instructions concerning the second scoop.

Finally, he returned to where I was leaning, and told me, "You know what, just go on and do the second scoop of Crouching Tiger."

"Really?" I asked him, since this had never happened before, "are you sure? I can give you more time to decide, it's no trouble."

"No, really," he replied, and settled in to explain to me, "what if I choose a second flavour, but I get to liking the first flavour and I don't like the second one as much? I know I like Crouching Tiger, but I can't be sure about anything else. I don't want to get in the Tiger-groove and then have to switch over to something not as satisfying. This is all just getting so complicated, and ice cream should be simple, shouldn't it? So just give me all Crouching Tiger and I know I'll like it all."

"You're right," I agreed, coming to a realization that I had never before pondered, "ice cream should be simple."

And just as he said, I handed him the cone of Crouching Tiger. A beautiful orange riddled with strips of black licorice. Simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment