Tuesday 31 July 2012

Spider-singing farmers on a hunt for ice cream

Jenn and I were just beginning to clean up for the night when a rowdy group of farmers (as I later learned) muscled their way into the shop. They hung back, waiting for the last of our earlier customers to vanish, then timidly approached the counter. I stood beside Jenn, curious to see what this group of 6 teenagers of mixed genders and ages were up to on a Friday night.


Amid fits of giggles, the tallest of the group explained to Jenn what they were up to. "We're doing a scavenger hunt with the rest of the farmers and one of the things we need to do is get a large ice cream and sing a song for you."

Immediately, I jumped in excitement. It's always a special moment when I realize that something is about to get interesting. "Perfect!" I jumped in, "What flavour can I scoop you guys?"

"I don't know," the leader answered, "What's good?"

"Well," I responded, "if you're going to get a large to share, I'd recommend the soft serve twist. It's cheap, delicious, and a pretty agreeable flavour."

He nodded in excitement, and Jenn went over to make them the ice cream.

"So you have to sing for us, eh?" I asked.

"Yes," the leader responded nervously.

"So what are you going to sing?"

"I don't know..." he said. It was becoming clear that making decisions wasn't what he had signed up for.

A girl in the back of the group piped up, "Let's do the Itsy Bitsy Spider!"

Immediately, the rest of them agreed, but they were hesitant to start. When I saw that they were nervous, I smiled at them and turned my back to get a cloth to wipe the counter. From behind, I heard to my delight, the beautiful chorus of The Itsy Bitsy Spider.

Before they were about to leave, the leader handed me a clipboard and pointed where he needed me to sign. "Just to prove that we sang to you," he clarified.

With pride, I grabbed the pen and scrawled my name.

It isn't every day that I get to sign for a group of spider-singing farmers on a hunt for ice cream; but on days that it is, darn right that I enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment