Sunday 1 July 2012

The gift of paper products


I was giving the soft serve machine a nice shine when a frazzled mother came in with her children. They were jumping around the shop in excitement while I ran around to fix them their cones. After 5 kids’ sizes of Spiderman, Grape Creamsycle, Rocky Road, Mint Chip and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough had been served, the weary woman dropped her purse to the counter, waiting to pay. Her short, dark hair had frizzed around her head, framing her face that seemed to be sweating from the exhaustion of chasing after her 4 hooligans. I rang her in, and was about to turn back to cleaning the soft serve machine when she called me back. “Do you think we could get some extra napkins?” she asked.

I nodded, realizing that the napkins that usually rested on the counter had all been used up. I jogged into the back and came out with a full package. I hastily pulled a handful from the paper bag, complete with at least 30 napkins, and placed them on the counter. Imagine my anguish when the woman proceeded to slide the full stack of napkins off the counter. She was gone before I knew it, off to find her children. I stood there, silently, in remorse for the trees that had just been sacrificed in a moment of inattention. 30 napkins amoungst 5 ice creams.

Paper products are a gift, people. Treat them as such.

No comments:

Post a Comment