Sunday 22 July 2012

Just in case I become an architect

I'm going to go out on a limb here and trust you guys with a secret. Sometimes, when I'm working, I make mistakes.

For example, last week, I was serving a finely-lined woman with her hair pulled back so tight that it was pulling on her scalp. Like her friend who had ordered before her, she asked for a kids' sized cone.

"Sure," I complied, "what flavours?"

"I'll have Mocha Almond Fudge on the bottom and Cookies and Cream on the Top."

I nodded in acknowledgement and went to grab a cone. To my inconvenience, however, there were no napkins on the counter to wrap the cone with. I had to retreat to the back of the store and plunder through a labyrinth of boxes, finally pulling free a refill of napkins.

Finally, I grabbed one, and went to continue with the cone.

The woman stood directly in front of the freezer, watching me with bird-like eyes as I scooped. Finally, I handed it to her and started to head over to the cash register.

"I wanted the Mocha Almond Fudge on the top," she stated. Her lips were stretched tight across her face and her eyebrows raised in a way that made me feel that she was scolding me.

"I'm sorry!" I began," would you like me to fix that for you?" I stretched my hand on the counter to offer my assistance.

 "Yes." she said, her mouth hardly moving.

I nodded slowly and took the cone again from her spindly grasp. Finally, once the cone had been corrected and paid for, I watched her leave in chagrin.


I never thought that working at an ice cream shop would require me to distinguish top from bottom with a 100% success rate, but I suppose I must prepare in the event that I ever become an architect.

No comments:

Post a Comment