Sunday 5 August 2012

Withholdance of ice cream

One of the problems with buying ice cream is paying for it at the end. I see it most often with elderly couples; the man is recruited to be the one who does the task of coming into the store to get the cones while the wife waits in the car. Awkwardness ensues when the customer doesn't have enough hands to hold both cones as well as handle the debit machine/cash.

You'd think that this seems like a simple problem to solve. Many customers have taken the initiative and made a move to pay for the cones before they're scooped, but that's when we run into other problems. Because of the sheer monstrosity of the cones I make, I've often only scooped a size below what the customer paid for when they shout for me to stop. Now, as an ice cream girl, I don't want to cheat people out of their money; but then, they're paying for more ice cream than they're getting!

I encountered this paradoxical problem last week when a confused old man stumbled into the store. He ordered 2 kids' cones: one Maple Walnut, and the other Butter Pecan (typical to his demographic). When I handed them to him and went to pay, he immediately began fumbling his things this way and that, trying to get his cash at the same time as accepting the cones.

"I'll just hold one for you," I offered.


He gratefully accepted the second cone, and continued to search through his wallet. Finally, he scooped a collection of change onto the counter.

I counted it out, and pushed several unnecessary coins back towards him. I then calculated his change and added it the pile. He scooped both of them back into his wallet.

"Have a great day!" I said to him.

He nodded, but continued to stand at the register. He looked anxious.

"I already gave you your change," I clarified politely, wondering if he had forgotten.

He shook his head, still waiting for me to catch on.

"The cone," he said finally.

In an awkward realization, I turned to look at my hand and noticed that I was in fact still holding his Butter Pecan cone.


Most of my shifts, I devour as much ice cream as I please, but the odd time comes when I need to also withhold it from customers.

I think I have a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment