Monday 11 June 2012

An unexpected visitor


I had turned my back for a few minutes to clean up the counter littered with whipped cream, nuts and banana peels. When I turned around, a Greek woman was waiting patiently to place her order. I approached her with ease and asked what she’d like.
 
“A medium dipped cone, please,” she requested. 

I inhaled. You know how precarious the cone dip tends to be. That’s when I noticed the man standing off several metres to the right.

“Hi! You told me that you worked here but I was just checking up. How are you?” he asked. 

“Great thanks!” I responded, suddenly put ill at ease. It may be important to note that this man is my principal. 

I turned back to stare at the empty cone I had grabbed, suddenly realizing that it was my principal’s wife who had just requested the most difficult venture of the menu. Figures.

Risking embarrassment, I grasped a cup just in case and filled the cone with soft serve before turning back to the dip. With a gulp, I shoved it in. 

Miraculously, when the cone emerged from the heated chocolate, it was perfectly coated in chocolate. More surprisingly, it was still firmly attached to its counterpart.
With pride, I waited for the chocolate to finish dripping on my hand (the sacrifice ice cream girls must make every so often) to hand it back to the woman. She smiled excitedly and accepted the cone with grace. 

Now cocky with my success, I turned back to my principal. “Maybe we can negotiate free ice cream if we knock my marks up to 95% ‘s?”

Sometimes you just gotta try.

No comments:

Post a Comment