Monday 25 June 2012

Room for creativity


We were about to prepare for close when a family complete with several kids came to visit. Jennifer and I awaited their orders, anxious to start clean up. We served them together to speed up the process. I handled the first 2 kids and the mother while she worked on 3 other members.

Finally, I asked the last kid what he wanted. “Chiquita Banana and Bubble Gum!” he yelled excitedly. He looked to be about 6 or 7 years old, wearing glasses that fell down his nose and a red t-shirt that seemed to depict some sort of obscure action hero. Thinking nothing of it, I grabbed a cone and started scooping his kid’s size with Chiquita Banana on the bottom and Bubble Gum on the top.

When I returned to their group after scooping his cone, I saw to my surprise that he already held in his grasp a polished ice cream cone. It was suspiciously exactly the same as the one I was holding, save the fact that the Chiquita Banana was on the top and the Bubble Gum on the bottom. I shot him a questioning glance, but he thought nothing of it and seemed to be waiting for me to hand him the second cone.

“Did you actually just order two ice creams?” his mother asked incredulously. “Did you forget you ordered the first?”

“No,” he chimed, “I figured I’d just have two.”

Although I admire his pluck, he loses significant points for choosing the same two flavours. Why have 2 cones with 2 kinds when you could have 2 cones with 4 kinds?  With 64 kinds to choose from, there is substantial room for creativity.

His score of awesomeness is also lowered due to the fact that Chiquita Banana is not one of my favourites and I couldn’t muster up the strength to eat it. Alas, once his mother scolded him for his silliness, the cone met the empty future of the garbage.

Some kids just aren’t creative enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment