Tuesday 22 May 2012

Simultaneous substances


The shop was the busiest I’d ever seen it. The wonderfully warm Saturday night was drawing to a close and it seemed that half the town had developed a want for ice cream. Bananas, strawberry sauce, hot fudge and smarties were strewn about the counter and a container of spoons I’d dropped the hour before lingered on the floor. I was on an ice-cream-scooping roll. I handled customer after customer until I arrived at two of interest.

They both had long black hair cut the same way, with side bangs and a shag at the bottom. They were dressed in shorts that left little to the imagination and denim vests that seemed to compress their entire abdomens. I wondered if they were twins. Both of them seemed to be exhibiting curious characteristics, however. Their eyes were rimmed in red and they slumped over each other with laziness. To my annoyance, they approached the counter slowly. Clearly lethargic and clearly high. My coworker grabbed another group of customers, but several still hovered behind. I saw that this was going to be a lengthy transaction.

“What can I get you?” I asked, the usual question.
“We’ll get a large hot fudge sundae with everything on it,” the first one ordered.
“With everything on it?”
“Definitely,” the second confirmed.

With that, I turned my back to them and began the creation. I grabbed a large banana boat and swung it under the soft serve machine. With great delight, I made 3 swirlies of vanilla with tops that ascended to the sky, but then drooped back towards the bottom. Next, I located the whipped cream, nuts and a cherry to decorate with. First and most importantly, I dumped a mother load of hot fudge and watched with delight as it softened the ice cream. I then sprinkled the ground with nuts. My favourite part was doing the whipped cream. I let the nozzle trace the base of the ice cream swirls, then added another topping to the peaks of each mountain. Then I let the cherry fall. 

I set the sundae down on the counter and searched for the corresponding button on the register. I was about to recite the total when my thoughts became interrupted by their exclamations.
“Wow,” the first said, stretching our her syllables, “I’ve never seen such a beautiful sundae.”
Not wanting to burst their figurative bubbles, I stood by and let them muse over my artistry. After all, it was flattering. “There’s so much whipped cream!” the second cried. She grabbed a spoon from the counter and let it frolic in the substance.

The first continued to stare, murmuring “wooooah” at a constant rate.
After paying, I watched them take a table at the front of the shop and devour their dessert. 

It seems that some of our customers enjoy the ice cream. Others enjoy it simultaneously with other substances.

No comments:

Post a Comment