Monday 14 May 2012

They Dreamed of Ice Cream

"Can you handle those two young gentlemen and I'll get the fellows over there?" my manager asked me. I nodded cheerfully, my long blond pony tail bouncing in turn with my head. He moved to the other side of the store to help the stumbling old man debating between strawberry and maple walnut. They were the last ones in the store, 20 minutes before close. I inched forward, eager to start clean up and reveal the skin that did exist underneath the several layers of dried ice cream on my elbows.

I looked up, far up, to see the two I'd be scooping for. There were two, one stood several feet taller than I with his hands in his pockets and a boyishly excited grin. The second stood behind hiding behind a brown mop of hair that disguised a similar smile. "What can I get you?" I asked, almost apprehensively.

The two boys glanced between each other. The shorter one laughed nervously, the first stepped confidently toward the counter. "We're going to get a large," he hesitated long enough to be on the receiving end of an encouraging nod from his friend, just to see how big it is."

I raised my eye brows, somewhat impressed with their adventurous pluck. "What flavours?"

Once I'd sculpted the masterpiece, a mountainous mound of ice cream almost 3 times as large as the bowl it was put in, I set it on the counter. It blocked my vision of the customers. I moved to the side to accommodate. Their cries of surprise and satisfaction were enough to make me laugh. "HOLY CRAP," the first exclaimed, "do you do a lot of those?"

I smiled, still looking at the ice cream, "This is my first this season, actually."

The second boy moved forward to collect his bounty, letting the several pounds of cream and sugar throw off his balance. "Perfect, making memories here!" he laughed. "You should know that you're making dreams come true here," the first exclaimed.

"Well, I'll definitely remember you guys," I promised. And with that, after paying the 6 dollar fee for the mass and dropping a generous tip in the jar, they ran outside to consume.

I guess it's never too simple to make a dream come true. And these guys didn't even ask for my number, but remember them I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment